Family Caregiver Amount (FCA).
If you have a dependent with an impairment in physical or mental functions, you may
be eligible to claim an additional amount of $2,000 for one or more of the following amounts:
• spouse or common-law partner amount;
• amount for an eligible dependent;
• amount for children born in 1995 or later; and
• caregiver amount.
The maximum amount for infirm dependents age 18 or older includes the additional amount of $2,000 for the FCA. The dependent with the impairment must be:
• an individual 18 years of age or older and dependent on you because of an impairment in physical or mental functions; or
• a child under 18 years of age, with an impairment in physical or mental functions. The impairment must be prolonged and indefinite and the child must be dependent on you for assistance in attending to personal needs and care when compared to children of the same age.
You must have a signed statement from a medical doctor showing when the impairment began and what the duration of the impairment is expected to be. For children under 18 years of age, the statement should also show that the child, because of an impairment in physical or mental functions, is dependent on others for an indefinite duration. This dependence means they need much more assistance for their needs and care compared to children of the same age.
You can claim the FCA for more than one eligible dependent.
Please free to contact our office for further information at Ascend Financial 403-823-1212